Would you believe me if I told you this cheese is actually made entirely from vegetables, and still tastes like the real thing? Well, believe it!
Entirely plant-based, rich and extra creamy!
Boil it, blend it, pour it!
You can never go wrong with a pasta dish that you don’t have to feel guilty about!
This pasta is Gluten Free and 100% amazing. I like Rotini, but as always feel free to use any pasta that you like! I’ve been on a serious gluten-free kick lately and this pasta is honestly the best thing that has crossed my path in quite a while.
The cheese sauce!
Made entirely of plants! Don’t call me crazy yet, just trust me. Based with cashews and almond milk, blended with cooked potatoes, carrots and onions. Add a few spices and you have the creamiest, dairy-free, cheese sauce of your life. You can alter the ingredients slightly and have a quick nacho cheese recipe or alfredo!
Pour it on!
Extra Creamy Southern Mac & Cheese! (Vegan)
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 35 min | Total Time: 45 min
Author: The Winey Vegan
Recipe type: Entrée
Photos by Emily
What you need:
- 1/2 box (or about 3 cups) gluten-free pasta, cooked
- 1/2 C cashews (soaked for at least 3 hours)
- 1 C potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 C carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 C chopped white onion
- 1/4 C non-dairy milk
- 1/4 C water (preferably from cooked veggies)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast, plus more for serving
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 3 tsp salt & pepper
FOR SERVING optional
Red Pepper Flakes
- First, set up your blender and add the soaked cashews and non-dairy milk at the bottom.
- Next, bring one pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions, then drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a separate small pot bring about 2-3 cups of water to a boil to cook the vegetables. Cook the onions, potatoes and carrots for approx. 10 mins. or until they’re soft. Once cooked, spoon out the vegetables and put directly into a blender. Be sure to save 1/4 C of the water from the vegetables.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until very smooth. If your sauce is too thick you may need to add more non-dairy milk until it is the perfect consistency. Taste test and add spices as you need!
- Your sauce may be hot enough to serve immediately, if you’re in a rush, or the sauce cools down – heat it up in a small pot to thicken it slightly before pouring over the pasta.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.