250 Calorie – Hearty Garden Vegetable Soup!
Nothing screams “winter” better than a generous bowl of warm, savory, vegetable soup. Growing up, my mom would make the best homemade soups. I always loved soup that was super hearty. I’m talking – stuff falling off my spoon with every bite- hearty. With a few tweaks, and a little extra ingredients, I’ve got it.
Need a cheap and easy meal for the week or a big household? You’ve come to the right place. Leftovers you can save for the week, or freeze and save for months.
The best part about making a soup, there are hundreds of flavorful options and always an abundance of leftovers.
If you think you don’t have time to make a soup from scratch, you’re wrong. You can always replace fresh vegetables with a package of frozen vegetables, or canned ones and it will still be just as amazing!
I added some extra pasta I made from earlier in the week, because why not? #carbs
250 Calorie Hearty Garden Vegetable Soup!
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 35 min | Total Time: 45 min
Author: The Winey Vegan
Recipe type: Entrée
Cuisine: Vegan, Soup
Photos by Emily
Serving size: 1 | Calories: 255 | Fat: 12g Saturated fat: 1g | Carbohydrates: 26g | Sugar: 8g Sodium: 1200mg | Fiber: 9g | Protein: 11.5g
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 4 C vegetable stock
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp finely minced garlic
- 1/2 C cooked gluten-free macaroni (optional)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 C celery, chopped
- 2 C carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds (approximately 2 medium)
- 2 C fresh green beans, broken or cut into 3/4-inch pieces (or canned)
- 1 can Lima beans, drained
- 1 can okra, drained
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 2-3 generous handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup packed, chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
FOR SERVING optional
Red Pepper Flakes
**Remember, I added 1/2 C gluten free macaroni pasta, because I wanted to use up my leftovers, but you definitely do not have to if you want a low-carb soup! Hint: even with the macaroni, it’s still super low-carb.**
If you are using canned or frozen vegetables, just bring the stock to a boil and add the vegetables, simmer for only 7-10 minutes (or follow package instructions) until they are soft then season to taste!
1. Heat the olive oil in large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the, garlic, onions, carrots, celery and green beans. Cook until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the tomatoes, corn kernels, lima beans, okra and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Make sure you check halfway through in case they cook too quickly.
3. Remove from heat and add the cooked macaroni, parsley, spinach and lemon juice.
4. Season to taste. Serve immediately!