I woke up this morning and it is winter. Not, walk in the park with pretty leaves almost winter…but WINTER. Blistering cold gusts of wind and you have to walk 20 blocks to a meeting, so you cancel the meeting kind of winter. (Michael Bublé plays softly in the background above sirens)
Now that we’ve established it is winter, holiday season is also in full swing, and that means I have zero time to do anything, especially cook. Not only do I want to stay bundled and warm, never leaving my apartment, but I do not really have the time to spend hours on dinner. My friends, I have the solution.
Veggies and coconut milk. Yeah, exactly.
Living in New York City, I can confidently say I’ve tried a few curries in my day. Thai curry, Indian curry, boxed curry – you name it and I’ve probably tried it. I love cooking meals that make abundant amounts and increase in flavor the longer you store them.
It is hard at traditional Asian restaurants to find a curry that isn’t made with fish sauce. It does exist though!
My recipe is 100% vegan friendly (in case you haven’t caught on to the reoccurring theme.)
To pump up the fiber and protein for this dish, I served it over brown rice. Coconut rice or quinoa would also be a lovely addition! Curry with some sort of rice side dish is really almost a necessity.
30 min. Low-Cal Vegetable Curry!
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Total Time: 30 min
Author: The Winey Vegan
Recipe type: Entrée
Cuisine: Vegan, Asian
Photos by Emily
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 C brown rice
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk (do not shake)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 cup extra firm tofu, cubed (optional)
- Pinch cayenne (optional for heat)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
FOR SERVING optional
Red Pepper Flakes
- If you’re adding tofu: Preheat oven 350 degrees and bake tofu (lightly oiled on either side) for 15-20 mins.
- In a small saucepan cook 1/2 cup brown rice according to package. Set aside.
- While the rice is cooking, heat a large saute pan, or pot, to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Once hot, add vegetables (except tomatoes and spinach-save those for last) and saute until soft – about 10 mins.
- Add curry powder, turmeric, ginger, cumin, basil, tomato paste, coconut milk, soy sauce, brown sugar, cayenne and a healthy pinch of salt/pepper and stir. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat slightly and continue cooking for 10 minutes. Add tofu and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Turn off heat and add tomatoes and spinach, until wilted (don’t overcook).
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve warm over rice!