Third on the healthy Thanksgiving Menu: Super Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon-Dill Dressing!
Let’s get one thing straight, I don’t mess around with pasta salad. Like ever. I know that many people have many different ways and preferences to the construction of their personal pasta salad – so let’s go ahead and agree to disagree with those who clearly don’t know what they’re doing.
Pasta salad at Thanksgiving?! “Are you nuts,” you might ask? Well that’s what makes this a “Super” dish.
Since we’re on the subject of super, the dressing is cashew based and not mayo based. I figured if I’m going all out then there is no reason to skimp on the dressing. If you do prefer to use a vegan mayo instead of blending the dressing yourself, that is totally fine! All you need to do is sub the cashews, milk and water for vegan mayo and mix it with the same herbs and ingredients.
Broccoli, carrots, chickpeas, dill, tomatoes, spinach pasta! And if I told you how much protein was in this dish you wouldn’t believe me — it’s 20g.
YES 20g OF PROTEIN PER SERVING WHAT
To keep up the momentum of the super dish, I used Rotini Super Greens pasta. This is a dish that is sure to win over your Thanksgiving guests. Like I said before, the days of being the lonely vegan at the dinner table are over. With a dish like this, the possibilities are endless, add as many different veggies and ingredients as you want!
Super Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon-Dill Dressing!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 7 min
Author: The Winey Vegan
Recipe type: Salad, Side dish
Photos by Emily Morris
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 3 C rotini pasta
- 1 C Creamy Lemon-Dill Dressing (See below)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 C broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 C cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 C celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 C carrot, finely chopped or shredded
- 1/2 C cucumber, finely chopped
- 1/2 C red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 C basil, finely chopped
- parsley and cilantro to top
- Cook pasta al dente (about 5-6 mins). Drain and run under cool water to stop the cooking quicker. Set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, chop up your veggies and make dressing (see below for ingredients and method).
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, chopped veggies, parsley (or cilantro) and dressing. Toss until the pasta and veggies are fully coated in the dressing.
- Salt and pepper to taste and ENJOY!
Creamy Lemon-Dill Dressing
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 C soaked cashews, (overnight is best, but at least 3 hours)
- 1/4 C water
- 1/4 C non-dairy milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp dill
- 1/4 C cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 2 tsp salt/pepper
- Blend all ingredients until completely smooth! (Add more seasoning to desired taste) You might need to add more water or non-dairy milk to thin it out if the consistency is too thin.
- Note: If you do not have cashews, you can replace the cashews and non-dairy milk with vegan mayo!