Did somebody say Taco Tuesday?!
If you are a die-hard Chipotle fan then I’m sure by now you’ve at least seen or heard about their “Sofritas” addition to the menu. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.
As a seasoned vegan (pun intended), I’ve had quite the experience cooking tofu. People forget that you do not have to be vegan to eat it, or cook with it. Also, it is not something you should fear cooking! Tofu is so versatile and healthy for you. Packed with so much protein and half the calories than 3oz of chicken. Why not go for Sofritas?
20g of protein per serving?! WHAT!
Every night is Taco Night in my house (at least we try). If you don’t want to use tofu or a meat substitute you can always try black beans and just add taco seasoning. One of the easiest and cheapest ways to make tacos as a vegan or anyone for that matter.
Like the southerner I am – I always add a bit of spice to just about everything so I’m topping them off with chipotle mayo and homemade pico de gallo.
Crispy Sofrita Tacos with Chipotle Mayo and Pico de Gallo!
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1 hour
Per Serving: Serving size: 2 tacos, 350 calories (160 from fat), 18g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 30mgcholesterol, 760mg sodium, 36g carbohydrates, (8 g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 20g protein
What you need:
Sofrita taco filling
1 package of extra firm tofu
1 package of soft tortillas
1/2 white onion (save other half for pico)
1/2 jalapeno (save other half for pico)
1/2 chopped tomato (save other half for pico)
2 cloves garlic
1 cup cilantro
2 Tbsp chili pwdr
2 Tbsp garlic pwdr
1 tsp cayenne
1 Tbsp hot sauce
2 Tbsp lemon juice
salt & pepper
My Toppings (optional):
- Pico de Gallo (see recipe below)
- Chipotle Mayo (see recipe below)
- black beans
Sofrita Filling Method:
1. Drain tofu and set on a plate, wrapped in paper towels, under a heavy surface and let it dry out for an hour or so. The dryer the better – I do mine overnight. Right before cooking, remove from towels and crumble with your hands (or a utensil if you’re not fun). Massage with a little bit of cumin, chili powder and garlic powder.
2. While the tofu is drying, make pico de gallo and chipotle mayo (recipes below) – keep cold until serving.
3. In a medium skillet, over medium heat add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and start sautéing onion, jalapeno and garlic about 3 min., or until soft.
4. Add crumbled, lightly seasoned tofu, to sautéed veggies and cook for 5 minutes. Add a little more oil if necessary. Add the chili powder, paprika, cayenne, cumin, salt, and lime juice to the skillet and stir. Cook for 5 more minutes until starting to brown. 5. Stir in the cilantro, chopped tomatoes and lime juice and turn off heat.
6. Spoon sofrita filling into tortillas of your choice with as many toppings as you want!
PICO DE GAllO & CHIPOTLE MAYO
What you need:
1/2 cup Sir Kensingtons Fabanaise (vegan mayo)
dash of chili pwdr
dash of garlic pwdr
squirt of lime
Pico De Gallo
What you need:
This is for a 1-2 person serving, I usually double this if I’m cooking for guests!
1/2 white onion
1/2 cup cilantro
2 tbsp lime juice
dash garlic salt
salt & pepper to taste
Pico De Gallo & Chipotle Mayo
1. Mix all ingredients together in a small airtight bowl or dish and save the rest for later. This usually stays fresh for up to 4 days.