Fall favorite number seven: Spicy Pumpkin Alfredo!
Before you freak the heck out – let me explain. We’ve all tasted pumpkin, squash, or sweet potato flavors in dinner entree form right? Pumpkin ravioli, spaghetti squash, pumpkin soup etc. Well let me introduce to you this life-changing, carb-cutting, sweet and savory pasta!
Comforting, creamy, savory pasta sauce without the weight and dairy overload.
Fall is one of those seasons where you cannot escape the pumpkin fad. You have to embrace it! I find myself with so much canned pumpkin, I don’t know what to do with it. Pumpkin is soooo good for you.
I love pasta sauces with a heavy creamy taste, vegan or not. Pumpkin substituting the cream is literally so perfect I cannot believe more people do not use it! When pureed, it becomes incredibly creamy and versatile.
Perfect cream sauce, along with olive oil, garlic, cayenne, pumpkin, and warm fall spices, makes for a super luxurious autumn dinner.
Trust me, you will not stop eating it.
PREP TIME: 5 minutes COOK TIME: 10 minutes TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes
Photos by Emily Morris
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, unsweetened
- 8 oz Whole Grain Thin Spaghetti (or spaghetti of your choosing)
- 1 C raw cashews, soaked overnight, or 3/4 – 1 C non-dairy milk (the sauce won’t be quite as thick with milk, but just as tasty!)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 C veggie broth
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste (at least 1/4 tsp salt)
- Topping: Crushed red pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- Add all pasta sauce ingredients to blender and mix until silky smooth.
- Taste test and adjust spices and salt if needed.
- Warm up your sauce by blending on the highest speed for 2-4 minutes. Or by simmering in a small saucepan until warm.
- Toss pasta with sauce and serve with crushed red pepper!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and don’t forget to tag a picture #thewineyvegan on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with.