Did somebody say brunch?!
There are probably few things I love more than spending quality time with my favorite friends, enjoying endless mimosas, and an amazing meal. So at home I’ve spent quite awhile perfecting vegan brunch and you guys are going to love it!
Whether you’re trying out vegan recipes for fun or want a much healthier alternative to your regular diet, this Southwestern tofu and spinach scramble with spicy black beans and avocado mash is the one to kickstart your day!
With no more than 200 calories per serving (not including mimosas), and less than 20 minutes in the kitchen – this savory, protein filled scramble is the brunch recipe of a lifetime. I know tofu can be scary for people who’ve never tried it or cooked it, just trust me it is so easy. Tofu is one of the best replacements for a vegan, or anyone looking to just switch up their regular diet and eat something very tasty guilt free.
What you need:
8 ounces extra firm tofu
1 can of black beans
1 clove of chopped garlic
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 chopped tomato
1/2 cup green bell pepper
1/2 chopped jalepeno (optional)
2 cups spinach loosely chopped
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp cumin powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 Tbsp red pepper flakes
1-2 Tbsp hot sauce
salt & pepper to taste
- Pat tofu dry and roll in a clean, absorbent towel or multiple layers of paper towels with something heavy on top, such as a cast iron skillet, for a minimum 15 minutes. (I leave mine overnight in the fridge to dry out the tofu the best)
- Drain black beans and microwave in a safe bowl with 1 tsp garlic salt, 1 tsp chili powder, a few dashes of hot sauce, salt and pepper. Mash avocado in a separate bowl with red pepper flakes and salt/pepper – set both aside
- Prep veggies and warm a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic and peppers. Season with a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook until softened – about 4 minutes.
- In the meantime, unwrap tofu and use a fork to crumble into bite-sized pieces and rub in a few dashes of chili powder and garlic powder.
- Add tofu and remaining dry spices. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until tofu is slightly browned.
- Add spinach and tomatoes and hot sauce – cook for 2 mins
- Serve immediately with the black beans, mashed avocado and maybe toast or fruit. I like to add more flavor with Sriracha, or salsa. Serves 4.Now grab a mimosa and enjoy!Tip: with any leftovers just heat and wrap ’em in a tortilla – breakfast tacos!